The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced today it has obligated $78 million to the state of Iowa to help reimburse eligible expenses for emergency protective measures that the state has incurred as a result of its response to COVID-19.

The grant funds, awarded by FEMA’s Public Assistance Grant Program, are authorized under a major disaster declaration approved by President Donald Trump on March 29 for the entire state. In total, FEMA has provided nearly $150 million to date in support of the state’s COVID-19 efforts. 

The money reimburses 75% of projected eligible costs associated with buying essential personal protective equipment (PPE) and medical supplies and equipment during the months of May and June.  The supplies include medical gowns, surgical masks, face shields, safety glasses and gloves, disinfectant, respirators and viral swab collections kits.

This obligation also includes: $19.5 million in contract services for Test Iowa, $35,000 in contract services associated with overseas PPE purchases, and $13.7 million for additional medical supplies and equipment for the month of April. All figures represent the 75% federal share. The remaining 25% will be paid by the state. 

“We are pleased to provide this significant grant to the state of Iowa to help them manage the financial demands that they’re experiencing as a result of COVID-19,” said Paul Taylor, FEMA Region VII administrator. “We will continue to work closely with them as our shared efforts to respond to this pandemic continue.”

In addition to the $78 million, FEMA has previously obligated the following money for Iowa (75% federal share): 

  • $44 million to reimburse eligible costs for buying essential PPE, medical supplies and equipment for March and April.
  • $4 million to reimburse state administrative costs associated with COVID-19 response.
  • $17 million to pay costs associated with the deployment of Iowa National Guard members deployed under Title 32 authorities.
  • $4.2 million to the Veterans Health Administration to pay for use of up to 20 beds at VA facilities and to pay for extra nursing care at the state veteran’s facility.